Chris Kaba was previously jailed after police stopped his car and discovered a knife

Chris Kaba, the unarmed black man shot dead by police in South London, had previously been jailed after police stopped his car and discovered a lock knife has emerged.

The 24-year-old, who was about to become a father, died when a Met gunman opened fire on the car he was driving in Lambeth on the evening of Monday, September 5.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has said the car, which was not registered to Mr Kaba, was tracked after it was flagged as involved in a firearms incident.

Mr Kaba had previously served a four-year prison term after being convicted of possessing an imitation firearm.

But now it has been revealed that in August 2020, after being released from prison, he was caught driving without insurance with a knife in his car.

Because the offenses were committed while he was still under his driver’s license, he was given an additional five months in prison.

The court records also show that in April this year, Mr Kaba was issued a 28-day domestic violence protection order against the mother of his unborn child, barring him from contacting her via social media or taking to the streets. where she lives.

Family insists the past is irrelevant to his death

Mr Kaba’s family has maintained that his past is irrelevant to the events leading up to his shooting and has said he would not have been killed had he been white.

His cousin, Jefferson Bosela, said: “We have no idea if the allegations are correct, but we cannot see how they are relevant to the police’s decision to shoot Chris.

“Everyone in this country has the right to do their thing without fear of being killed by the police.

“There are very limited circumstances in which the police can use force. When a person is killed as a result of that use of force, their death must be fully and properly investigated, regardless of what the individuals involved may or may not have – done in their past.

“Chris was a loving son, a caring brother, an excited father-to-be and a young man with so much potential. His family and friends will always remember him that way.”

The office that fired the fatal shot has been suspended by the Met and is under investigation for murder or manslaughter.

The IOPC has said it expects the investigation into Kaba’s death to take six to nine months.