Devon news: 17-year-old boy named after being killed in horror bale wrapper incident |  UK |  News

Devon news: 17-year-old boy named after being killed in horror bale wrapper incident | UK | News

Luke Searle, 17, was working at Sherwell Farm in the Plympton suburb of Plymouth, Devon, when it happened. The local ambulance service called Devon and Cornwall Police after receiving reports of a man being seriously injured on June 22.

Devon and Cornwall Police said in a statement released today (July 13): “The fire brigade, police, plus air and land ambulances all arrived on the scene, but tragically, the teenager was pronounced dead at the scene.”

Police said Luke lived nearby and his family has asked for privacy as they come to terms with their loss.

Due to his age, the circumstances surrounding Luke’s death will be the subject of a joint investigation by the police and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).

Farmers Weekly reported earlier this month that the Health and Safety Executive issued a statement saying he was trapped and killed in a bale wrapper.

PlymouthLive reports tributes pouring in for Luke, with a local saying: “RIP beautiful soul, may you rest with the angels in paradise. Much love and condolences to your family and friends.”

Another wrote: “Such a lovely young man. [I’m sending] healing thoughts and love for Luke’s family.”

According to HSE figures, a total of 123 workers were killed in accidents at work in Britain last year.

The data covers the period April 2021 to March 2022, when most of the pandemic restrictions were lifted and the economy began to reopen.

Industries with the most deaths were construction (30), agriculture, forestry and fishing (22) and manufacturing (22).

READ ABOUT WHY MPS WEARS WHITE FLOWERS

HSE Chief Executive Sarah Albon said that while Britain is one of the safest countries in the world to work in, the figures show efforts must continue to ensure safety remains a priority.

She added: “Any loss of life is a tragedy and we are committed to making workplaces safer.”

The figures refer to accidents at work and do not take into account deaths from occupational diseases or from exposure to certain occupations.

The HSE has also published annual figures on mesothelioma, a cancer that can be caused by past exposure to asbestos.

Figures show that 2,544 people died from the disease in 2020, in line with the average of 2,523 deaths over the past eight years.

Current deaths from mesothelioma reflect asbestos exposure that occurred primarily before the 1980s.

The annual number of deaths is expected to decrease over the next 10 years.