wait at the entrance of the Port of Dover According to one of the ferry companies affected by delays, they are free again after a weekend full of evictions.
Coach passengers had to wait for hours on weekends to enter the port, be processed and board ferries.
On Monday morning, P&O Ferries tweeted: “There are no more queues at the entrance to Dover Port. We apologize for the waiting times this weekend.”
Earlier, the company said all coaches passed through the buffer zone, where passenger information was collected in advance, before boarding the next crossing to Calais after passing through border control.
On Sunday evening, the Port of Dover said about 40 coaches were awaiting immigration processing with an expected wait of about four hours.
At 02:30 on Monday, the port also reported that the A2 and A20 approach roads are “running normally”.
Logistics company DFDS tweeted that the buffer zone and border controls were released at midnight.
Disruption at the port was first reported on Friday when the port announced a critical incident, saying the delays were “due to lengthy French border processes and the sheer volume”.
Minister of Internal Affairs Suella Braverman dismissed suggestions that Brexit could be the cause of port delays as passengers endured long queues and canceled trips.
Ms Braverman said it wouldn’t be fair to see the delays as “a negative effect of Brexit”.
She told Sophy Ridge On Sunday on Sky News: “What I would say is in acute moments when there’s a lot of pressure crossing the Channel, whether it’s on the tunnel or on ferries, I think there’s always a back up will be. and I urge everyone to have a little patience as the ferry companies work their way through the backlog.”
She suggested that overall “things are going very smoothly at the border”.
Additional sailings have been made overnight with port officials saying they had been “working around the clock” with ferry companies and border agencies to try to get bus passengers on their way.
More than 300 coaches left the port on Saturday, while freight backlogs were cleared and tourist cars successfully processed.
Shadow leveling secretary Lisa Nandy said “a range of factors” caused the delays, but she claimed the government had not planned what would happen after Brexit.
She told Sophy Ridge On Sunday that ministers “have known for a long time that they had to make sure there were resources to handle extra paperwork checks”.
She added: “I really feel for the families trying to get away for an Easter holiday, people caught up in this chaos, people whose livelihoods are under threat.
“It didn’t have to be this way.
“If the government got a grip, started tackling and started doing its proper job, all of these things could be avoided.”