Streaming users spent a lot of time with the Game of Thrones universe in the week after House of the Dragon‘s premiere – but more with the parent series than the prequel.
Game of Thrones topped the list of acquired series — and ranked third among all titles — for the week of August 22-28 with 909 million minutes of watch time on HBO Max. House of the Dragon followed the premiere night of 327 million watch minutes with 741 million for the entire week, most of which was necessarily caught up with the first episode. Nielsen’s streaming rankings measure a week from Monday to Sunday, meaning only a few hours of streaming from the second episode on August 28 is part of the total.
Still, House of the Dragon is the first currently-running show ever to hit the acquired series chart in more than two years of Nielsen’s streaming rankings. (It’s been “acquired” because Nielsen considers the HBO cable channel the home base for HotD, although both it and HBO Max are part of Warner Bros. Discovery.) It also made the charts with just two episodes under its belt; different from preschool show coconut melon (18 episodes), every other series in the acquired show’s top 10 has a minimum of 62 episodes.
Netflix’s echoes topping both the overall rankings and the original series chart for the week with 1.12 billion watch minutes. In the thriller, Michelle Monaghan plays identical twins who regularly switch lives – until one of them goes missing. Disney+s She-Hulk: Lawyer entered the charts in its second week of release, ranking ninth among the originals with 390 million minutes. hulus Only murders in the building (578 million minutes) improved 39 percent in the week of the second season finale.
Nielsen’s streaming ratings only refer to viewing on TV sets and not minutes viewed on computers or mobile devices. The ratings only measure US audiences, not other countries, and currently only include Apple TV+, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, Netflix, and Prime Video. Nielsen’s best streaming series for August 22-28 are below.
1. echoes (Netflix), 1.12 billion minutes viewed
2. Weird stuff (Netflix), 890 million
3. the sandman (Netflix), 681 million
4. Only murders in the building (Hulu), 578 million
5. Lock & Key (Netflix), 518 million
6. untold (Netflix), 485 million
7. Virgin River (Netflix), 471 million
8. Never have I ever (Netflix), 433 million
9. She-Hulk: Lawyer (Disney+), 390 million
10. glow (Netflix), 336 million
1. Game of Thrones (HBO Max), 909 million minutes
2. NCIS (Netflix), 770 million
3. House of the Dragon (HBO Max), 741 million
4. coconut melon (Netflix), 677 million
5. bluey (Disney+), 615 million
6. The Big Bang Theory (HBO Max), 606 million
7. Grey’s Anatomy (Netflix), 567 million
8. friends (HBO Max), 460 million
9. Breaking Bad (Netflix), 397 million
10. The blacklist (Netflix), 392 million